Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Davey's Rash

Today I took Davey to his pediatrician to have his rash checked out. Turns out he has "Fifth Disease". Fifth disease begins with a low-grade fever and mild cold-like symptoms. These symptoms pass, and the illness seems to be gone until a rash appears a few days later.Well, that is exactly what happened! A week and half ago Davey had a high and low grade fever for days...no other symptoms but a runny nose. Five days after his fever was gone and he seemed well, he got a bad rash! Poor boy!!! Our doctor says that the disease should be gone after a couple of weeks. He's already had the rash for almost a week, so hopefully by next week it will be gone! Oh, and the doc also told us that for a few weeks, the rash may come back when he is out in the sun or gets too warm. This does not mean the disease is worse. Also, by the time the rash appeared, he was no longer able to spread the disease to anyone else. It was only contagious while he had the fever. Phew!

I'm glad we took him in! We thought it was an allergic reaction to something, and here he has a viral infection. Well, now we know! :o)

Below is a picture of Davey's rash the 2nd night he had it...

3 comments:

  1. I had never heard of that, but a friend of mine's daughter has that same thing right now. Strangely, it must be going around. I hope he's better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that mystery is finally solved, and that he was not contagious to anyone when he had the rash. Poor Davey. He looks plum pitiful in that photo....ah, but just as cute as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking at Davey again. Sniff. LOL! Hey, I love his hair in this photo. He looks so cute here.

    ReplyDelete